Thursday 6 January 2011

6/1/11 – Big Momma’s House


Although this project is about catching up with cinema classics old and new, occasionally there’s not going to be anything good on. I didn’t expect my options to run out as early as day six, but time pressures meant this was the only film I could catch today.

Mark Kermode has a theory that to qualify as a comedy, a film must provide a minimum of six laughs. I chuckled twice and grimaced an awful lot more during this formulaic, boring, clichéd and oft-offensive movie. The plot is improbable, the performances are phoned in and the set piece slapstick jokes are poorly conceived and executed. I’m fully aware that I am not part of the target audience for this film, and that children may find parts of it funny, but my 11 month old nephew makes me laugh more often and in a more intelligent way, and personally I’d rather change him every day than watch this again.

No comments:

Post a Comment