Friday 7 January 2011

7/1/11 – Wall-E


Every so often a film comes along which warms your heart and brightens your day. Over the last ten years, most of these films have come from Pixar Animation Studios, and Wall-E is one of the very best.

The premise is at the same time both wonderfully simple and ludicrously complicated. A small waste collecting robot is plying his trade on the abandoned post-apocalyptic Earth. Along comes a scanning probe which, as it turns out is from the remains of the human race, monitoring the earth for signs of photosynthesis. The robots fall in beautifully realised, magically understated, expertly paced love. Then all is ripped apart and an epic journey through space ensues.

The strength of this film comes from Pixar’s incredible ability to convey a full range of emotions in inhuman characters. I was drawn into the central relationship, instantly forgetting that they were robots and were not speaking, and effortlessly following the meaning of each gesture, bleep and action. I rooted for Wall-E on his quest, I admired Eve for her devotion to duty, and I laughed and cried in almost equal measure. I hate sequels, but I am starting a petition for one here and now. Who’s with me?

No comments:

Post a Comment